Saturday, August 10, 2013

A Brief Introduction

Hello there,

My name is Alice, and I will be leaving in ten days for my next adventure.  I'll be starting vet school at the University of Glasgow in Scotland, where I'll spend the next five years of my life learning (I hope) everything I'll need to know to practice veterinary medicine.  But let me introduce myself.

I grew up in eastern Pennsylvania and got my undergraduate degree in biology at Warren Wilson College in the beautiful mountains of western North Carolina.  I have wanted to be a veterinarian most of my life (although at age three I supposedly wanted to be a blacksmith), and applied to vet school unsuccessfully after graduating.  They don't make it easy.  But, after a year spent living in NC and a reality check working full-time as a tech/assistant at a small animal clinic, I re-applied and was accepted at the University of Glasgow.  Now I'm finishing work, packing my two suitcases, and preparing to leave my lover and my fur family behind in my quest for knowledge, success, and whatever character young people are supposed to gain from baring their metaphorical necks in piranha-infested waters.

I'll do my best to document this experience from start to finish, for my own interest, for my family and friends, and also for anyone out there curious about the vet school experience, nervous (as I am) about relocating, learning, somehow paying for it all (it ain't cheap), and eventually emerging as a veterinarian at the other end.

4 comments:

  1. good luck and safe travels- will miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You might link this page to your Australia blog archive (http://pigsabroad.blogspot.com/2010_08_01_archive.html) and add a link there to this one!

    You are a traveling biology student interested in all things fur, feathers & scales (and what do amphibians have?). Not to mention exoskeletons, like those dinner-plate-sized arachnids in Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alice, I have every reason to believe that you will achieve your lofty goals and I am looking forward to tagging along for the ride!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alice!! So excited for this new chapter in your life. Can't wait to continue reading your blog posts, and even possibly Skype at some point to catch up on the exciting events that have past since I last saw your pretty face in AUS. Miss you and so happy to hear this update! -Megan Welch

    ReplyDelete