Friday, September 13, 2013

The Trials of Transport

Although I have a lovely post waiting to be written about Edinburgh castle, and a few things to say about our orientation week, I had an experience yesterday that I need to do a little good old-fashioned, grouchy story-telling about.

We finished our orientation stuff around one o'clock in the afternoon.  The girl I was sitting next to mentioned that she had been able to find a reasonably priced, used bicycle at a shop in town (near the Kelvingrove Museum, actually).  Since I've been wanting a cheap bike, I decided to check it out.

Things went smoothly as I boarded the 19A bus like a pro, paid my fare, got off, and found the bike shop without much trouble.  They continued to move along nicely as I tried out a few bicycles and settled on one I liked pretty well (it's a violent shade of purple).  I even found a helmet that fits around my hair, although it is bright orange and the "crash-helmet" style indicative of Hair (you know, "he lives in Brooklyn somewhere,\ and wears a whiiiiite crash-helmet).  At least I'll be visible.

I happily wheeled my new bike out of the shop and to the bus stop, where I only had to wait for three or four minutes before the bus came.  I got on, bike in tow, and off we went.  And went.  And went.  At some point, I realized that the scenery wasn't looking very familiar.  In fact, it wasn't looking at all familiar.  Frankly, I had absolutely no clue where we were.  It turns out that, while it doesn't matter if you get on the 6 or the 6A to go downtown, it matters a great deal whether you take the 19 or the 19A home.  Because the 19 goes to some god-forsaken suburb that's forty-five minutes in the wrong direction.  The not-home direction.

The bus driver was nice.  He told me just to keep riding, and eventually we'd get back to the stop where I could pick up the 19A.  "Don't think you're the first person who's done that," he told me.  He even printed me a transfer so I wouldn't have to pay the fare again.

When I finally got to the right stop and saw the 19A bus coming, I rejoiced.  It had begun to rain.  No, to pour.  I hailed the bus and it pulled over, but... the driver wouldn't let me on with the bike.  Even when I pleaded, and looked cute and sad and wet, and explained politely that I had just got off another bus with the bicycle, and I'd never do it again, but it was raining and how was I to get home...  No luck.  Who ever heard of not being allowed to take your bike on the bus?  Even the very dysfunctional Asheville buses have bike racks!

After this debacle, I realized that my only options were to ride the bike four miles home in the pouring rain (which a more hard-core cyclist would certainly have done, but that simply isn't me), or to find the train station.  I had seen bike racks in some of the train cars, so I was fairly certain that they wouldn't kick me off.  The trouble was, I really had not idea how to get to the train station.  So, I started riding east.  The traffic was heavy, and the streets were flooded, and cars kept throwing up horrible, grey, city-street water.  I was soaked.  But, finally, I found a familiar street name, and then another, and figured out that I was in the city centre, close to Glasgow Queen Street Station.  And from there, things (finally) went relatively smoothly.

When I got home, I realized that it had taken me upwards of three hours to make the four-mile trip home.  Clearly, I should just have ridden the bike home in the first place, before it started pouring.  What a nightmare.

No comments:

Post a Comment